Wednesday 16 February 2011

ONGOING TESTS ON THE CABLE DUG UP AT NEWBURY BY SOUTHERN ELECTRIC POWER DISTRIBUTION.

THE BRITISH HORSERACING AUTHORITY RESPONSIBLE FOR CARRYING OUT A
THOROUGH ‘POST- MORTEM ANALYSIS’ ON BOTH HORSES WHO LOST THEIR LIVES WHILST IN THE NEWBURY PARADE RING LAST SATURDAY, 
 
THE TWO HORSES ELECTROCUTED, FELIX TWO AND MARCHING SONG





We still awaiting the full results of  both these investigations.


 
The Rolling Downs Kingsclere


NEWBURY RACECOURSE  are attempting and hoping that they will get the all clear to run last Saturdays abandoned races this Friday February 18th. With Channel 4 Horseracing Team at the ready to bring us these races live.


“JONJO O’NEILL, trainer of the late FELIX TWO.“I’m happy to have runners at Newbury on Friday. What happened on Saturday was a freak accident, unbelievable, but you have to move on. I’m sure that everything will be done to ensure everyone’s safety and welfare.


Jonjo O’Neill one of the greatest horsemen this world has ever seen. The British Horseracing Authority need to observe this, to watch and to learn.




ROBERT THORNTON  CHOC'S IN THE POST RACING POST MONDAY FEBRUARY 14
"I've never known anything like it. I was astonished they went ahead with the race, but didn't complain. You just get on with it.

" RACING is all about drama, some glorious , some sad,  and I've been part of many, but never before have I experienced the tragic and traumatic scenes we went through at Newbury on Saturday.

"Normally you would be proud to tell people "I was there' when you're talking about some sensational moment in sport. I won't be boasting to the grandchildren  about what happened before the start of the first race on a day I'd been looking forward to for weeks.

"For two horses to keel over and die whilst walking around the ring, within seconds of each other - well, that's something on a different level altogether. By the time you read this they may have established just what went wrong, but that won't wipe out the horror of the day.

"As I walked into the parade ring with a group of the other lads I noticed two horses at the far end of the ring apparently playing up. One fell to the floor in a heap, and then the one behind it did the same. There was just total shock and confusion, with nobody really having an idea what to do. This was something that had never been witnessed on a racecourse before.

"After a lot of hesitation, we were told the other horses should be taken into the pre-parade ring and that we would get legged up there. The word quickly spread that at least one other horse, maybe two, had stumbled in the ring, but it hadn't seemed too serious so they had just gone to post early.

"Then it filtered through that both the horses who had collapsed in the parade ring had died and I'd like to offer my sympathies to the connections of FENIX TWO and MARCHING SONG. It must have been devastating for all of them.

"As far as we jockeys were concerned, every one was stunned. The atmosphere was  eerie. I'd never known anything like it on a racecourse. I'm sure I wasn't the only jockey who thought the card would be cancelled at that point. I was astonished when they went ahead with the race, but I'll be honest and admit I didn't make any complaint. So many things happen in racing and you just have to get on with it, so when there was no announcement we just carried on. We were all in a bit of a daze.

"The race was bizarre because none of us could really consentrate and I know I wasn't the only one who was feeling queasy throughout. I finished third but my mind was focused on what on earth could have caused those two horses to die?

"After weighing in we all knew the rest of the card would have to be called off. My big hope at Newbury  had been WALKON in the Totesport Trophy. One thing is sure I don't want to see another day like that."

Watership Down



END

No comments:

Post a Comment